Friday, September 01, 2006

Distraction

I love a really unique puzzle game. The more it makes my brain hurt, the happier I am (not that you'd know it from the swearing, snarling, and hurling of nearby objects).

So I was very happy when Wired's Table of Malcontents lead me over to this thing.

Here's what I like about it:

  • You have absolutely no idea what to do. The puzzle starts from the moment you load it, because there are no instructions and no obvious course of action. It just looks at you and says, "play!"

  • I've never seen a game like it. The closest analogue is something like Contraption, but that's not quite it. It's a very original idea.

  • It's well designed. Gameplay aside, it just looks nice. It's nothing really earth-shattering, but it's a fairly professional package. The sound is nice, although sparse.


I was kind of bummed to discover that it's just the one puzzle, so it's not more than a short distraction (I think it took me about half an hour), but it's really good for what it is.

3 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Smitty said...

Yeah, 17's a tricky one. It's there, though.

And why did you make a Blogger account?

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seemed like something to do, rather than showing up as "anonymous" all the time.

But then I figured out I can just have it link to my LJ.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a bit, but this was really fun! And, strictly speaking, it's not just the one puzzle. There's only the one puzzle of that type, but when you click that link, the initial box that opens has a control bar at bottom that scrolls through all manner of icons, each of which is a different puzzle. Some of them are very neat, others not so hot. The not so hot ones being the ones I couldn't figure out, naturally. If you master "Free the Bird" let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home