Saturday, August 26, 2006

The evolution will be televised

I had a very uncomfortable moment some months ago when I realized that my sister does not believe in evolution.

Now, I'm certainly aware that there are people in the world who hold this view, and — to an extent — I can understand why they would. I just think they're being a bit dense about it. Of course, my perspective is somewhat colored by having actually held some of the physical evidence in my hands.

My sister's objection, at least, is based on her religion, and I can see that. The ones I really don't get are the people who simply refuse to believe it because it doesn't seem to make sense. "I just don't see how you get a cow from a whale," they observe.

Well, no. That's because you haven't had some three billion years to observe the progression. What we can observe are the tiny changes that occur within our limited span of time, so-called microevolution. In a lot of instances, these are changes that we've caused through selective breeding. We've even created new species.

All of which is a far cry from turning a water creature into a cud-chewing methane factory, I'll admit. But again, it's a question of time. We can make a new species in a matter of years; imagine what we could accomplish in even 100,000 years — an eyeblink on the evolutionary time scale.

Hell, it probably didn't take us more than 10,000 years to make the housecat, the domesticated dog, and the cow. And that was before we even knew what we were doing.

One objection my sister has voiced, however, is that evolution is "just a theory." She's not the first to make the argument, and far from the last. This always seemed to be a really silly argument to me, because the person making it obviously doesn't understand what a scientific theory really means. I've never been terribly great at explaining it, however.

So imagine my delight when I stumbled across this today. It's easily the clearest and best explanation I've ever seen about how evolution being a theory, rather than a law, is thoroughly immaterial as an argument against it.

Read it, if you doubt me. I'll take your questions later.

8 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, I feel somehow compelled that for anyone who might read this, that Mike's got *two* sisters. I'm not the same one he mentions in this entry. If he mentions his crazy sister who makes art with metal, then he's talking about me. :) (How ironic that the "sane, normal" sibling is a Creationist?)

That's a really good article, by the way.
- Sharon

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, speaking as, perhaps the one and only authority on the subject, let me state that there are no "sane, normal" persons, siblings or otherwise, in Mike's entire immediate family.

Second, speaking as no kind of authority whatsoever, I wanted to point up that it has always struck me as almost tragic that more of those folks who bear a religious objection to evolution have not attempted the tactic of describing divine action as a theoretical explanation of evolution.

Yes, yes, we have this idea of intelligent design. This might be described as something like the above, but, no, can't even go that far. It has to be entirely its own animal, bearing no resemblence whatsoever to evolution or creation.

In the words, well, word, of our generation: whatever.

J.R.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Smitty said...

Particularly interesting in light of the article, as that's precisely the hole it leaves open (and the hole left open by the current evidence concerning evolution).

And I would have absolutely no problem with someone stating a belief that God directed evolution. I personally support the idea of natural selection, but the evidence for that is much sketchier then for evolution.

As far as intelligent design goes, though, the issue never was its validity as an idea. I'm perfectly willing to allow the idea. The issue was always teaching it in school as science, which it very clearly is not. If they were to teach it in religion classes as an alternative to the scientific view, it might even open up some interesting classroom discussions.

Of course, it'd be really fun to teach all the other creation myths as well and see what happens. Largely because I want to see this question on a test sometime:

"Are we made of corn? Provide evidence for your answer."

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan always wanted to see creationism in schools: Marduke slew Tiamat and created the world from her bones... or however that particular slice goes.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or Our Noodly Master created a mountain, some trees & a midget....
;-)

-Sharon

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right. I think it's highly unfair to write things about me on here and not even tell me about it. You really make me out to be a thoughtless, uneducated person based on a two-second conversation. I actually don't have all that much opinion on the matter other than that I believe God created the world, and still runs it with a very twisted sense of humor, too often at my own expense. He is giving me far too much to deal with today and tomorrow to worry all that much about how it started. At the time, I just wanted to make the point that you need to be a little considerate of my religion when speaking to my daughter. I certainly did not intend to concern you with having such a "dense" and "silly" sister (especially considering my competition, ha ha).
Note: This message is intended to be read in a calm, slightly bemused tone...the only irritation I have is that I just learned to text message, and now I've had to blog to defend myself...my anti-technology stance is weakening...

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awful lot of discussion over my actions. So here it is... Evolution is real!!! Of course I could have just created everything as is, but honestly what fun would that be? I totally won a lot of bets when those dog thingies turned into dolphins and I will when more bets when those dolphins turn into your new overlords!!!! HA HA HA I AM THE OMNIPOWER!!!! Just kidding...Or am I?

Evolution and religion do mix because evolution was my plan me damn it. As far as my reluctant servant Michael not respecting your religion around your daughter... Whats the problem? It's your religion, not hers and it won't be hers until she makes an adult and well informed decision on how she wants to handle the whole "me" thing. You may guide her, but shielding her from all the available information is nothing short of brainwashing.

Well thats all from me...I'll see you when I see you.

~God

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Smitty said...

Sorry, sis. It was meant as a lead-in to the idea I wanted to write down, not as any sort of attack; hence, my not bothering to mention it. Reading through the post again, though, I can certainly see how you'd take it that way.

I'm sorry for any irritation this has caused you (even if it is just over having to learn about blogging).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home